Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Stefanki punks Gonzo, goes with Roddick

Well all the news outlets are reporting that Roddick has hired Stefanki to be his new coach in 2009, but almost no one seems to be talking about how Stefanki dumped the player he was currently coaching, Fernando Gonzalez, to take up the job!

When I first read the news, I thought "That's odd. I don't even remember when Stefanki and Gonzo broke up; I wonder what caused the split?" Looks like Roddick caused the split! Gonzalez posted a notice to his website on Nov 19th stating that Stefanki had received the proverbial offer-you-can't-refuse to work for the USTA. Nov 20th the news came out that Stefanki would be working with Roddick. What's going on here? Did Stefanki pull a fast one on Gonzo? Or is the USTA footing the bill, in a program similar to the one the English LTA had with Brad Gilbert and Andy Murray?

Drama aside, this is a strong hire for Roddick. Stefanki is an extremely well-respected coach, who took previous charges Marcelo Rios and Yevgeny Kafelnikov to #1 under his tutelage. Stefanki stresses fitness and building a strong foundation in the legs. As Roddick is a suspect mover compared to the rest of the Top 10, I think this will be a beneficial partnership. Come to think of it, Roddick is not unlike Gonzo; a strong forehand, weaker backhand, and an average to below-average mover. Maybe Stefanki can stop Roddick from making those ill-timed approaches to the net. It should be interesting to gauge Roddick's form come Jan 19th in Melbourne.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Coaching Rios is not a compliment nor a resume builder. Rios skipped all major non-clay events and gained 'points' by defeating non top 100 players at obscure clay events. He cheated the system for a #1 ranking.

Jesse said...

Hey Rich (Z?),

I'm no fan of Rios myself, but I think you're wrong. In '98, the year Rios reached #1, he won Indian Wells and Miami on hard courts (beating Agassi in straights), then Rome on the clay, before finishing up with a win on hard courts at the Grand Slam Cup (beating Agassi in the final again). Those were all Masters Series level tournaments; I'm not even counting the other 2 minor tournaments he won that year. While I'll admit that his record in Grand Slams has to be the worst for any #1 on the mens side, he DID get to the final of the Australian Open in '98 as well.

Unknown said...

In '98 (or in his career) Rios never made the semifinals let alone the finals of another major except the Aussie.

I will give him the Lipton and Indian Wells. Those are impressive.

I find it difficult to justify celebrating a coaches resume when his best player had a good 2 month stretch.

PHILIPPOUSSIS had a runner-up and some QF appearances. Are you ready to anoint his coach a genius also?

Jesse said...

Ok now I know it's Z - you're the only one I know still calling it the 'Lipton' :) I should have used the Super 9 terminology in my original response!

I think the argument can be made for Stefanki based on the body of his work; he didn't just take Rios to #1, but Kafelnikov as well. And Fernando Gonzalez went to the finals in 3 out of the first 4 tournaments he entered after hiring Stefanki, and THEN made it to the finals of the Australian Open. That's a pretty good turnaround right thur, and I think it speaks to Stefanki's ability to motivate and bring out the best in his pupil.

Unknown said...

It will always been the Super 9 in my eyes. I always wanted to put some Mercedes (no pun intended) logos on my local tennis court nets.

Fair enough about Stefanki but Roddick is on the down side of his career, does not move well and has failed miserably with two very good coaches.